Barkingside boss buoyed by win

PUBLISHED: 14:00 08 April 2013 | UPDATED: 14:00 08 April 2013

Barkingside manager Matt Frew

Barkingside manager Matt Frew

Copyright 2011 Simon Atterbury Contact for usage.

Frew: It was brilliant. We went mental

Matt Frew admitted Barkingside’s late victory over Essex Senior League rivals Great Wakering on Saturday still hasn’t sunk in, but knew his men would get revenge after losing to them earlier in the season.

Side were defeated 5-0 in February and Frew couldn’t hide his delight at the 88th-minute winner.

He said: “It still hasn’t sunk in to be honest, it was a good performance by the boys in a must-win game as well.

“The 5-0 result earlier in the season stuck in my mind so it was a really good result.

“We dug in and it was very windy as well but it was the manner of the win, in the 88th minute. It was brilliant and we all went mental.”

Chas Liddiard put Barkingside ahead on six minutes, but the hosts hit back to level through Dan Williams before half time.

Joe Ellul’s late strike made it eight wins in a row for Barkingside and Frew openly admitted he couldn’t contain himself as he celebrated in the style of Paolo Di Canio by running down the touchline.

He added: “There was a lot of banter in the bar afterwards. People were saying I did a Di Canio down the touch line!

“It probably was the highlight of my short managerial career.”

The Barkingside boss knew Wakering had the aerial advantage and had to hold his breath whenever the home side had a set piece, adding: “They’re a really big side, so I knew we couldn’t lump the ball up to the forwards,

“We tried to play it through them and they couldn’t cope with our pace.

“They were really threatening from set-pieces. Every time they got one I was thinking ‘oh no’ but they weren’t that threatening from open play.”

Frew also felt the wind played a massive part in the match, and believed it was a game that split opinions.

“It was a tight first half, and the wind had a massive say on the game and we were up against it,” he said.

“Second half it was end-to-end stuff and they did have a few chances.

“I didn’t think we played as well as we can but some fans said we were really good, so it was a match that divided opinions.”

The Essex Senior League chairman was present at Saturday’s match, and Frew received some kind words from him, adding: “It‘s a big statement to the rest of the league, and the league chairman was at the game.

“He shook my hand afterwards and just said ‘keep doing what you’re doing’. Those little things are the highlight of my short managerial career.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder