Barkingside blown away by fast-starting Brightlingsea

PUBLISHED: 10:15 31 March 2015

Barkingside manager Matt Frew (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Barkingside manager Matt Frew (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Ryman North: Barkingside 1 Brightlingsea Regent 2

Two first half goals sent Barkingside crashing to a 2-1 defeat at a blustery Cricklefields to Brightlingsea Regent in the Ryman North.

Josh Gould and Charlie Durling both scored for the R’s before the break while Calvin Poku struck late in the second half to give the hosts hope of a comeback.

The visitors could have taken the lead in the first minute when Jordan Heath’s effort was diverted into the path of Phil Kelly who blazed over.

It was all Brightlingsea in the opening exchanges but Side nearly scored against the run of play in the eighth minute when a corner found its way to Poku at the back post whose volley went high of the goal.

Regent’s pressure finally told four minutes later when Gould tapped home at the back post following a cross into the box from a corner that had not been cleared effectively.

The visitors doubled their advantage in the 19th minute as hesistation at the back allowed Durling his chance to get his name on the scoresheet.

Chance after chance followed for Brightlingsea up until half-time but they could not find a third and Barkingside boss Matt Frew admits the display in the opening half was not the greatest.

“We were forced into late changes which rocked us a bit. We had to play Reece Tranter, normally a midfielder, at right back,” said the Side chief after the match.

“They started well with the wind. They had some really quick players and their midfielders were making runs that we weren’t tracking.

“We didn’t perform well in the first half but we didn’t go mad at them at half-time. We knew we were still in it.”

Frew was right to have confidence his side could still get something out of the game as they came out firing in the second half.

The Cricklefields club went close the levelling the match 15 minutes after the interval when Dan Cossington’s dipping shot from 35 yards narrowly went over.

Seven minutes later they went closer still when a delicate Chris Taylor chip from the edge of the area hit the crossbar.

They were by now the dominant side and in the 68th minute Poku headed towards goal but their was not enough power on the effort to trouble Regent goalkeeper Andrew Plummer.

Controversy reigned five minutes from time as Barkingside thought they had scored following a goalmouth scramble from a corner but their claims the ball had crossed the line were not heard by the referee.

They had their reward two minutes later when Poku latched onto a long through ball to tap in to an empty net and spark a frantic final few minutes.

Substitute Lee Weemes went close to earning Side a point in stoppage time with a shot from 30 yards and the home side could not find the goal they needed for a draw but Frew was still pleased with the improvement.

“In the second half we were much better. Did the ball go over the line before Calvin’s goal? I didn’t think so but others did,” added the Barkingside manager.

“The goal was what Calvin’s done all season but it didn’t come early enough in the match. We deserved a draw, we couldn’t have given more. It was just one of those nights.

“We need to make sure the first half doesn’t happen again in our remaining games. If we repeat the second half, we’re in with a shout of surviving.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder