Barkingside beat Romford With ease

PUBLISHED: 08:17 12 April 2016 | UPDATED: 16:01 12 April 2016

Barkingside's Luke With celebrates a goal (pic: George Phillipou/TGSPHOTO)

Barkingside's Luke With celebrates a goal (pic: George Phillipou/TGSPHOTO)

©TGS Photo +44 8450 946026

Ryman North: Barkingside 4 Romford 0

Romford captain Matt Frew and manager Paul Martin (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)Romford captain Matt Frew and manager Paul Martin (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Barkingside produced a stunning second-half display to put four goals past Romford in what turned out to be a comfortable victory at Cricklefield Stadium last night.

Striker Luke With was key in their victory, scoring a hat-trick and assisting another for Tyrone Scarlett.

And fefeat brought Romford back down to earth as it ended their four-match winning run, while relegated Barkingside were left wondering what might have been.

The first 20 minutes were played with litte urgency, something that might have been expected after Barkingside 1-0 loss to bottom club Redbridge at the weekend.

It took 23 minutes for the first chance of the match, when Romford winger Akwasi Marfo beat right back Jordan Wilson on the left and produced a dangerous cross into the box, but no Boro team-mate was near the ball and Barkingside cleared.

The hosts then had a chance of their own in the 30th minute when left back Alfie Wren crossed for Michael Spencer whose shot was saved by Romford keeper Michael Gooch.

The rebound fell to Scarlett, but his touch let him down and Gooch got to the ball before the striker and that would be the last chance of note in the scoreless first half.

The second half was action-packed in contrast, right from the word go.

Barkingside substitute Darren Foxley lifted a ball over the Romford defence and With was one-on-one with Gooch, but the keeper dived the right way and With was denied.

Gursel Gulfer’s hosts would not be denied four minutes later, though, as a free kick on the right hand side was crossed to With, who headed past Gooch.

It was the start to a great second-half performance by the home side, who struck again in the 64th minute through Scarlett.

Foxley once again played a good ball over the top and Scarlett got to it ahead of Romford captain Matt Frew before slotting into the bottom right hand corner. Nine minutes later, it would get worse for Romford as impressive forward With headed over Gooch from a Wren cross.

As Barkingside controlled the match, they attacked again in the 83rd minute, and substitute striker Dapo Abitogan won a penalty.

It was coolly dispatched by With and at 4-0 Barkingside took their foot off the gas and allowed Romford two great opportunities to get a consolation.

There was a one-on-one chance for Nick Reynolds three minutes from time which produced a great save from Tyler McCarthy, who was barely tested throughout the match.

And two minutes later, Romford would hit the bar through Marfo via a deflection.

But that was the last action of the match in what was a great night for the hosts and a disappointing one for the visitors.

Romford: Gooch, Boswell, Barry, Frew, Ishmail, Cossington, Dicks, McFarlane, Reynolds, Paxman, Marfo. Subs: Dixon, Potter, Taylor, Anderson, Akpele.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder