Barkingside battle back for point

PUBLISHED: 15:00 08 September 2013

Dan Callaway of Barkingside (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Dan Callaway of Barkingside (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Ryman Division 1N: Barkingside 1 Dereham Town 1

Barkingside came from behind to earn a point at Oakside yesterday.

Matt Frew’s men had conceded 10 goals in their previous two league outings, against Witham (6-0) and landlords Redbridge (4-1) over the August Bank Holiday weekend.

But they had given an improved defensive display in their 1-0 FA Cup defeat at Brantham Athletic a week ago and maintained that form to earn some reward.

The first half remained scoreless, but Dereham broke the deadlock just past the hour mark as Danny Beaumont struck.

Barkingside drew level eight minutes from time, though, as captain Dan Callaway netted and the point earned helped them move up to 15th place, just above rivals Romford after their 1-0 defeat at basement boys Ware.

The two sides meet at Romford’s Ship Lane base on Wednesday (7.45pm).

Barkingside: Mulrooney, Salmon, Mackin, Toms (Gulfer 71), Crossley, Cooper, Edmunds, Callaway (Onireti 90), Davie (Suchley 83), Oxby, Senghore.

Sudbury 3 Redbridge 1

Motormen suffered more disciplinary problems as they returned empty-handed from Suffolk.

Tyron Thomas received the club’s fourth red card of the season, after earlier dismissals for Bostry Bansenden (two) and Hussainou Jaffa, as the 10-men fell to defeat.

Sudbury made a bright start and opened the scoring on the half-hour mark when Dean Driscoll blocked an initial shot and Dave Cowley netted at the second attempt.

Cowley was denied by a goalline clearance before the break, while Driscoll saved from Payton Swatman.

But Sudbury went 2-0 up soon after the restart when Thomas brought down Cowley, and was given his marching orders, and Michael Brothers scored with an acrobatic effort from the resulting Michael Shinn free-kick.

Eljay Worrell gave Motormen some hope on 61 minutes with a fine finish from 25 yards, before Sudbury’s Sam Clarke hit the crossbar and Ben Lewis poked wide.

But the home side made sure when Matt Daniels and Cowley combined for Swatman to smash home their third goal of the game and send Redbridge dropping to 12th place in the table.

Motormen will look to bounce back when they host Tilbury on Tuesday.

Ilford 0 Takeley 1

Ilford suffered a third defeat in a week as they went down against Takeley in their Essex Senior League clash at Cricklefield Stadium.

The Foxes, beaten 2-0 by FC Romania the previous Saturday and 4-0 at Stansted in the Essex Senior Cup in midweek, might have feared the worst after Takeley’s 7-2 victory at Sporting Bengal.

But Martin Haywood’s men held the visitors to a solitary strike and will hope for better when they visit Eton Manor next weekend.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder