Bad night for Barkingside, Tower Hamlets

PUBLISHED: 08:24 08 November 2016 | UPDATED: 08:24 08 November 2016

Barkingside manager Gursel Gulfer (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Barkingside manager Gursel Gulfer (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Barkingside 0 Stansted 3; Tower Hamlets 0 Haringey & Waltham 1

Barkingside and Tower Hamlets suffered disappointing home defeats in the Essex Senior League last night.

Gursel Gulfer’s Barkingside welcomed Stansted to Cricklefield Stadium, looking to bounce back from their weekend loss to Hullbridge Sports.

The home side started well, but found themselves behind against the run of play when Meadwright beat the offside trap to force a save from Francis, only for Gareth Jones to force the loose ball home.

The visitors went close to extending their lead, but were denied by Francis on several occasions before Tom Le Mesurier doubled their advantage 20 minutes from time, tapping in from close range after Sam Ashford’s good run and cross.

Stansted sealed the points with a third goal in the closing stages, as Ashford fired into the bottom right corner to lift them up to third place.

Barkingside’s winless run extends to five matches, meanwhile, and they remain in 11th place ahead of Saturday’s trip to Clapton.

Meanwhile, Tower Hamlets were beaten at their Mile End Stadium base by bottom club Haringey & Waltham, who climbed above co-tenants Sporting bengal as a result.

The visitors took the lead on 28 minutes when Benson Nzarubur netted from close range and saw Jordan Jackson and Thomas Agogo denied by saves.

The hosts went close to levelling just before the break when a corner was headed off the line and on to a post, but Haringey had the edge in the second half.

Courtney Homans fired just over and Leon Wildman, Agogo and Nzarubur all had chances to make sure of the points, before Akeem Skeen was dismissed for a second bookable offence in stoppage time.

Hamlets thought they had levelled moments later, only to see an effort ruled out by an offside flag, and they also finished with 10 men as O’Neal Rowe received his marching orders.

Having gone six league matches unbeaten, Ade Abayomi’s men have now suffered back-to-back defeats and will welcome Southend Manor on Saturday.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder