Allan Fenn’s Ilford claim bragging rights over Dave Ross and Ricky Eaton’s Redbridge

PUBLISHED: 09:30 14 September 2016

Ilford manager Allan Fenn (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Ilford manager Allan Fenn (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 8450 946026

Essex Senior League: Redbridge 3 Ilford 4

Ilford edged out local rivals Redbridge in a thrilling Essex Senior League encounter last night.

The Foxes made the short trip to Oakside to take on Dave Ross and Ricky Eaton’s men and the two teams produced a seven-goal thriller.

After a quiet opening quarter of an hour, the encounter sprung into life in the 21st minute when Motormen went ahead.

DJ Adelekan headed home from close range after Allan Fenn’s side struggled to deal with a dangerous free kick.

Just three minutes later and Ilford were level, however, when Sipho Mtyanda fired into the corner and the visitors were full of confidence now.

Elias Armar-Tackie went close on the half an hour mark before his perseverance paid off in the 36th minute.

The ex-Aveley winger created some space and curled home a wonderful effort into the top corner to put Foxes in front.

Both teams created further opportunities to add to the score, but it remained 2-1 to the away side at half time.

Redbridge made a bright start after the break and equalised in the 50th minute when Stephen Good flicked on for Adelekan to bundle in his second.

The encounter at Oakside was proving to be a cracker for the 82 in attendance and more goals were to follow.

Chris Stevens showed age is just a number 17 minutes from time when he converted at the back post for Ilford.

And Foxes took the initiative a few minutes later as Dan Jones burst into the box and was brought down by Motormen goalkeeper Jake Mernage.

Fenn’s team were awarded a penalty and the hosts custodian was given his marching orders in the process.

Jones dusted himself down and converted the spot-kick to give Ilford some breathing space at Oakside.

But the drama wasn’t over yet as Redbridge won a penalty of their own in stoppage time and Lee Weemes made it 4-3.

It was too little too late, however, as the referee blew the full time whistle shortly afterwards.

Redbridge and Ilford had produced a memorable match, but it was the visitors who were happiest at the end.

Foxes are eighth in the table with 10 points from just four games in the division now while Redbridge are 14th with a tally of eight points.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder