Essex Senior League: Ilford boss Billy Cove disappointed with Hackney Wick defeat
- Credit: Archant
Ilford joint-boss Billy Cove was disappointed to suffer a 2-1 defeat to Hackney Wick on the weekend.
It was the Foxes fifth straight defeat and they remain ninth in the Essex Senior League and are now only ahead of Tower Hamlets and Woodford Town on goal difference.
The visitors went in front when Albie Keith fired home however ex-Ilford striker Tony Cookey then levelled for the home side before Hassan Nalbant netted the winner to keep their slender survival hopes alive for another week at least.
“I’m very disappointed, and the score line flattered us to be honest,” Cove said.
“We started off quite well, and took an early lead, but from then on, it was pretty much all Hackney Wick.
You may also want to watch:
“We are conceding goals far too easily, and we’re not creating enough going forward, its really frustrating to watch, because I know we have a very good bunch of lads in that dressing room, they just need to start trusting each other, and enjoying their football again.”
Former Ilford striker Cookey netted and Cove revealed he is pleased to see the attacker doing well at his new club.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 3 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 4 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 5 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 6 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 7 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 8 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 9 Jailed: Newbury Park man for 'ludicrous' bid to defraud employer of £670k
- 10 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
“It’s always the way, you always raise your game when you play against your old club.
“I’m just happy he’s finally finding his range.”
The former Maidenhead United striker believes the squad is struggling of late due to lacking in a bundle of areas.
“It’s the lack of training, lack of fitness, lack of goals and not defending well enough.
“It’s a brand-new squad, so we knew it would take time for them to gel.”