Daniels at the double as Wroxham see off Ilford

Ryman One North: Ilford 1 Wroxham 3

Wroxham took all three points at Cricklefield after an impressive 3-1 win against Ilford, who continued their bad run of form on Saturday

They went into the game off the back of a 3-0 Essex Senior Cup loss to Essex Senior League side Barking, and the opening 15 minutes provided little in terms of goalmouth action.

With 18 minutes played, the ball fell nicely to Ross Durrant who took a speculative shot which looked to be a comfortable save for Ilford goalkeeper Daniel M’Baku, but the ball took an awkward bouce only and trickle into the net.

After taking the lead the away side looked more and more likely to double their advantage, Angelo Harrop’s free-kick was half-cleared before Matthew Daniels’ shot was cleared off the line by Ilford’s Jan Skoniezki.

You may also want to watch:

Five minutes before half-time, a comfortable header back to M’Baku looked faultless until the Ilford number one decided to spill the ball straight into the path of Matthew Daniels.

He took full advantage and scored one of the most simplest goals of his career, putting the ball into an empty net.

Most Read

The half-time interval came at the right time for the home side, as Wroxham began to look comfortable on the ball, threatening to extend their lead.

As the second half began, Ilford looked the most likely to score. With 50 minutes played, Stephen O’Hara’s cross found Warren Mfula, whose volley was struck high and wide.

Wroxham soon punished the missed opportunity though when a long throw into the box was knocked down for Daniels, who struck the back of the net again with a controlled volley, giving the visitors a three-goal cushion after 62 minutes.

Ten minutes later Ilford did manage to get a consolation goal when Joel Etienne-Clark managed to hit a lofted shot from 25 yards out which caught the goalkeeper Remi Matthews out and it sailed in off the crossbar

The Foxes goal gave them a spring in their step, and Ilford had the Yachtsmen pinned back into their own half for the next 10 minutes but failed to make the pressure count.

In the final five minutes, Wroxham substitute Matthew Blake had a chance to seal the win, but two of his efforts were blasted high and wide of the target, although he won’t be too disheartened as the visitors managed to hold on to all three points.

Under Kevin Lucas the Foxes have not won at home in seven attempts and will face a tough task in bringing that run to an end when they host play-off chasers Tilbury.

Ilford: M’Baku, Dawkins, O’Hara, Skoniezki, Gbio, Simpson, Abitogun, Brown, Jeetoo, Mfula, Etienne-Clark

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus