Wanstead can’t rain on Hornchurch parade

PUBLISHED: 16:00 06 July 2015

Hornchurch captain Roy Smith (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Hornchurch captain Roy Smith (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League

Essex League Dukes T20 quarter-final: Hornchurch (149-6) beat Wanstead (147-7) by four wickets

Joe Ellis-Grewal of Wanstead (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)Joe Ellis-Grewal of Wanstead (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

The rain may have started to fall in the final overs of the match but it didn’t dampen Hornchurch moods who signalled their intent in the Essex League Dukes T20 with a quarter-final win at Wanstead.

The hosts are currently involved in a titanic tussle at the top of the Premier Division but it was the visitors, who play in the league below, who progressed.

Despite wet conditions on the morning building up to the match, the pitch was still bone dry by the time play got underway after the Herons had won the toss and elected to bat.

If they were looking for a good start, they did not get one as Arfan Akram skied a shot to point to be dismissed for a duck off the fifth ball of the innings, with the over ending in a maiden for Max Osborne.

Milan Patel (12) then played a brief cameo before being bowled by Paul Walter with Wanstead labouring on 17-2 in the fourth over.

It was at this moment opener Hassan Chowdhury decided to drop the clutch and power on, putting on the majority in a 71-run stand with Feroze Khushi (18).

The departure of Khushi began a small collapse that looked like derailling the hosts, with Chowdhury (50) and Joe Ellis-Grewal (1) both departing, leaving the score 92-5.

But Jonathan Das (23) and Adnan Akram (26) put on a booming 45-run stand, with the latter twice clearing the clubhouse with maximums but both fell late on with Wanstead closing on 147-7.

Hornchurch began their reply solidly before deciding to go for a run that wasn’t really there with Billy Gordon run out for just three in the second over.

While they were keeping pace with the run rate, Ronnie Saunders (4) and Paul Walter (11) soon followed as Chris Sains joined opener Max Osborne at the crease with the score 36-3.

It was this partnership that may well have swung the game in the favour of Hornchurch, with the duo putting on 66 before Sains went for 41.

Osborne continued on to record a half century before going off the next ball with a final score of 51, but by this point the visitors were just 11 runs short of victory with three overs remaining.

And while the heavens opened and Hornchurch lost another wicket, play continued as Hornchurch eventually booked their place in the next round with an over to spare.

It may not just be the weather that is raining for Hornchurch, though, who currently sit nearly 40 points clear at the top of Division One and play Billericay in a League Cup quarter-final next Sunday.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder