Dixon delivers for Essex in Kent

PUBLISHED: 18:38 21 September 2016 | UPDATED: 18:39 21 September 2016

Matt Dixon and Daniel Lawrence celebrate promotion (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Matt Dixon and Daniel Lawrence celebrate promotion (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Bowler takes four wickets in rain-hit match

Matt Dixon took four wickets for Essex, but Kent had the better of play on the second day of their Specsavers County Championship clash at Canterbury.

With no play at all possible on the first day, due to a wet outfield, Essex went into the match under the captaincy of Tom Westley, with Ryan ten Doeschate and James Foster sitting out.

Adam Wheater took the wicketkeeping gloves, as Wanstead youngster Kishen Velani and Hornchurch’s Paul Walter also came into the side with Will Rhodes, following last week’s 11-run loss to Glamorgan.

And the retiring Dave Masters opened the bowling in the last match of his career, but was hit for six by Sean Dickson early on as the hosts made good progress.

Walter shared the new ball but was replaced by British passport-holding Australian Dixon, who had appeals for lbw and a slip catch turned down in his first over.

Rhodes made the breakthrough as Daniel Bell-Drummond edged to Varun Chopra at first slip with the score on 44 and Dixon, who has had injury problems this year, found the edge of Dickson’s bat soon after, with a diving Wheater taking the catch to make it 50-2.

Joe Denly and Sam Northeast took Kent to 106-2 at lunch and continued to make good progress after the restart.

Northeast reached his half-century from 70 balls, with seven fours, but was bowled by Rhodes for 56, after a 109-run stand for the third wicket.

Denly’s half-century came up soon after from 98 deliveries, with eight boundaries, but Sam Billings was trapped leg before by Ravi Bopara to make it 204-4.

And Denly then fell for 74, with only four more runs added to the total, as he edged Dixon to Wheater off the back foot.

Will Gidman fell first ball, also caught by Wheater off Dixon, but James Tredwell survived the hat-trick delivery and helped take Kent to 237-6 at tea alongside Darren Stevens.

Westley brought himself into the attack in the final session, but the seventh wicket stand reached 108 before Tredwell pushed forward and was trapped leg before by Dixon for 39.

Matt Coles then helped secure a fourth batting point for the home side, with Stevens reaching his century off 125 balls, with three sixes and 13 fours and finishing unbeaten on 107 at the close, with Kent 389-7.

Kent: Bell-Drummond 32; Dickson 16; Denly 74; Northeast 56; Billings 16; Stevens 107*; Gidman 0; Tredwell 39; Coles 24*; Masters 23-7-58-0; Walter 14-1-72-0; Rhodes 18-3-80-2; Dixon 22-3-89-4; Bopara 14-0-68-1; Westley 5-1-9-0.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder