Big win for Barkingside

Barkingside manager Gus Gulfer cracks a smile (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Barkingside manager Gus Gulfer cracks a smile (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO) - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo

Ryman North: Barkingside 2 Wroxham 1

A 90th minute winner from Michael Ademiliu secured a vital victory for Barkingside against Wroxham in their Ryman North relegation six-pointer at Cricklefield stadium.

The game started in fast fashion as it took just over 10 minutes for Wroxham to score the opening goal.

Right winger Jack Garrod played a perfectly timed through ball to striker Jamie Forshaw, who coolly rounded Barkingside keeper Tyler McCarthy, before cutting back to Jordan Attree to tap the ball home into an empty net.

Wroxham could have made it 2-0 soon after when Garrod sprinted down the right channel before placing a cross along the floor to find Forshaw completely unmarked, however, his effort zoomed over the crossbar.

You may also want to watch:

Barkingside replied after 27 minutes when right winger Ademiliu made a darting run from the left before shooting just outside the box, as the ball deflected into the path of in-form Michael Spencer, who slotted the ball home as the Wroxham keeper had already dived to the other side to cover the previous shot.

The game continued with the same tempo from both teams for the rest of the half, but the scores remained even as the match reached the interval.

Most Read

The second half was dominated by a downpour which no doubt affected the ability of both teams to play the ball along the ground.

Nonetheless, both teams continued to fight with the first opportunity of the half falling to Barkingside striker Luke With.

Wroxham centre-back substitute Bradley Spooner was caught napping as a ball was lofted over, allowing With to get in behind and head the ball over Wroxham keeper Elliot Prioe, however, the ball trickled past the post.

Wroxham winger Joel Potter then had an opportunity to put his side back in front after his corner from the right had seemingly been cleared away.

The Barkingside defence then went to sleep as a ball from Forshaw on the left found Potter completely unmarked in the box, but his poor first touch enabled home captain Paul Wright to clear the ball away.

The game seemed to be heading towards a draw after Barkingside right-back Jimmy Sheperd’s 25-yard shot produced a great save from Elliot Prioe at full stretch to put the ball past the left hand post.

However, in the 90th minute Ademiliu was able to win his side a corner after his cross was cut out.

Spencer took the corner from the left and after the ball floated into a body of players, a second ball found its way to Ademiliu who duly thumped a shot home sparking wild celebrations from the home staff and players.

It was to be the last chance of the game as Barkingside secured a second win in three games and in a match where a draw was simply not a good enough result for either side as they fight against relegation, these circumstances made for an enthralling encounter from start to finish.

And Barkingside manager Gursel Gulfer will no doubt be happy with the character his players showed as they continued to fight for survival at the bottomm of the table.

Barkingside: McCarthy, Shepherd, Wright, Adebayo, Smith, Nichol-Wilson, Ademiliu, Lataaya, With, Spencer, Wren (Mills 60). Unused subs: Birch, Laird, Amoako, Easton.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus