Barkingside undone by Hallett hat-trick

Barkingside manager Matt Frew (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Barkingside manager Matt Frew (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO) - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Ryman North: Barkingside 0 Waltham Abbey 5

Barkingside’s worrying downturn in form continued as they lost 5-0 at home to Waltham Abbey.

After a four-game winning run had lifted them out of the relegation zone, and helped boss Matt Frew win the manager of the month award for February, the Cricklefields outfit have lost three games in a row.

Visiting striker Jason Hallett was in superb form in front of goal as he netted four times in the contest.

The hosts’ task against Abbey was not made any easier after a slow start with two early goals taking the contest away from them.

You may also want to watch:

In the eighth minute allett forced a stunning save from Tim Pitman in the ‘Side goal after a powerful half-volley from the edge of the area.

From the resulting corner, Hallett got the better of Pitman as he nodded home Jon Docker’s delivery.

Most Read

Four minutes later Docker was involved again when his free-kick near the corner flag was poorly dealt with by the hosts allowing Darrelle Russell to double his side’s lead from six yards.

With 27 minutes played, Barkingside tested the opposition goalkeeper for the first time when Joe Bricknell whipped a free-kick around the wall but easily into the arms of Jayden Purdue.

After some quick passing near the edge of the area, Liam Burgess unleashed an effort on the visitor’s goal but Purdue was able to save with fifteen minutes remaining in the first half.

Sixty seconds later, Greg Akpele went on a weaving run which ended in a curling shot that was expertly pushed around the post by the Abbey ‘keeper.

In the 36th minute, Dimitri Larins’ headed backpass was interecepted by Mallett but he could only fire the ball high and wide of the Barkingside goal.

Six minutes later, an Akpele cross resulted in a spot of aerial ping-pong with the ball eventually falling to Larins who could only put his left-footed effort over the bar.

The hosts made a fast start a to second half when Burgess’ headed flick-on found Jason Fontaine within the first minute but his chipped effort from just inside trhe box went wide.

In the 51st minute, Dan Cossington misjudged an Abbey clearance allowing Hallett to run through on goal and score his second of the afternoon.

Reece Trantor had only been on the pitch less than a minute but he made an immediate impact with 70 minutes gone when his cross fell kindly for Liam Weemes in the area.

Weemes forced a shot on the turn but it was brilliantly saved down low by Purdue in the Abbey goal.

Trantor was looking lively and three minutes later he played in Lewis Francis who could only produce a tame effort that was easily saved by Purdue.

Five minutes from time, Jason Hallett completed his hat-trick when he headed Docker’s cross into the net.

And he grabbed his fourth in injury time when he slotted home from 18 yards.

‘Side are now level with Romford who are in the final relegation spot and Tuesday’s game against fellow drop zone battlers Cheshunt now looks vitally important.

Barkingside: Pitman, Larin, Bricknell, Cossington, Akapka, Taylor, Fontaine (Trantor 70), Giddings (Francis 60), Burgess, Weemes, Akpele (Ikumelo 82)

Referee: D. Bushell

Attendance: 59

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus