Barkingside under-21s come of age in cup final
- Credit: Archant
Side’s youngsters beat Pro-Athletic to lift the Essex Saturday Junior Trophy
A clinical second-half performance saw Barkingside’s under-21s claim the Essex Saturday Junior Trophy with a 3-0 win over Pro-Athletic.
Goals from Oliseh Okugun, Jess Collier and Charlie Gregory proved to be the difference as Barkingside lifted the cup.
With just three minutes played, ‘Side’s Collier side-footed over the top from 15 yards before the same player found space inside the penalty area thanks to a fine touch, curling just wide of the far post.
Barkingside started brightly after the interval and the young outfit grabbed the lead on 57 minutes when a ball forward found Okugun, who arrowed a low shot into the corner.
You may also want to watch:
Sixty seconds later Barkingside had given their opposition a mountain to climb as they added their second, Collier’s shot finding the bottom corner from the narrowest of angles.
With 15 minutes remaining, Barkingside sealed their win through a low centre which was swept into the bottom corner by Gregory.
- 1 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 2 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 3 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
- 4 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 5 Two in five people in Redbridge may have had Covid, data shows
- 6 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 7 Council left homeless family 'stuck in cycle of instability', report finds
- 8 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 9 CCTV still issued of man sought in 'vicious and unprovoked' attack in broad daylight in Barkingside supermarket
- 10 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
“I think our fitness told in the end,” said ‘Side boss Danny Lee after the game. “Pro-Athletic put us under a bit of pressure in the first half, but we didn’t take the few chances that came our way, either.
“But we kept our discipline, kept patient and knew more chances would come and we took them well in the second half.”
Despite their under-21s title, many of Danny’s side are under 18 and the manager ensured his team were aware of their achievement
He said: “It’s really pleasing for the boys as they are still very young men. We had a huddle at the end of the game and I told them this will be the first of many! Hopefully it is and we’ll see you again next year!”
Barkingside Under 21s: Alex Londors, Bobby James, Manny Nwokorie, Lee Dann, Taiwo Akindele, Aidan Lucas, Keith Ragon, Oliseh Okugun, Jess Collier, Cass Okonkwo, Charlie Gregory. Substitutes (repeated): Tommy Lee, Jake Mernagh, Joe Jessop, Conor Sheehan, Greg Frederick.