Barkingside cannot tame Hawks

Barkingside manager Matt Frew (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Barkingside manager Matt Frew (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO) - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Ryman North: Harlow 5 Barkingside 2

Calvin Poku netted again for Barkingside (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Calvin Poku netted again for Barkingside (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO) - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Barkingside returned empty-handed from high-flying Harlow after a seven-goal thriller.

Matt Frew’s men had upset play-off chasing Dereham in midweek, winning 2-1, and held their own in a frantic opening spell against the Hawks.

The visitors opened the scoring on 11 minutes when Calvin Poku’s backheeled pass released Jason Fontaine, whose powerful shot was parried by Andrew Walker into the path of Poku to tuck home.

Harlow levelled moments later when Junior Dadson fired past Tim Pitman and the hosts took the lead when David Cowley’s inswinging corner somehow found its way in at the near post.

You may also want to watch:

Dadson crossed for Junior Appiah to make it 3-1, but Barkingside hit back through captain Joe Bricknell as his half volley beat Walker on 22 minutes, but Dadson’s deflected effort made it 4-2 and he completed his hat-trick 10 minutes later as he curled a shot past Pitman.

Alex Read was denied a sixth for Harlow after rounding the keeper as his effort was cleared off the line and the usually prolific striker was replaced during the interval after sustaining an injury in a challenge with Josh Akapka.

Most Read

Remarkably, there were no more goals in the second half despite a host of chances being created in an open game.

Leon Antoine spurned two glorious opportunities for Harlow, while Pitman kept out Appiah’s close-range header.

Poku was denied by Walker at the other end, while Gregg Akpele blazed over, but the visitors had Pitman to thank for further saves from Joshua Urquhart, Appiah and Billy Jones as it stayed at 5-2.

Antoine had a goal ruled out two minutes from time after fouling a Barkingside defender and Frew’s men will hope for better when they visit Ware on Tuesday.

Barkingside: Pitman, Francis, Bricknell, Cossington, Akapka, Taylor, Fontaine, Giddings (Tranter 86), Weemes (Burgess 62), Poku, Akpele (Edmunds 72). Unused subs: Adebayo, Clarke.

Redbridge 0 Needham Market 3

Redbridge remain above the relegation zone on goal difference only after defeat against title hopefuls Market at Oakside.

Michael Brothers put the visitors ahead after only 11 minutes, but Motormen held out until late in the second half before conceding twice more.

Ryan Crisp doubled Market’s lead with 13 minutes remaining and Luke Ingram added a third moments later.

Redbridge will now prepare for a crucial ‘six-pointer’ against fellow strugglers Romford, who visit Oakside on Tuesday after seeing their home clash with Wroxham postponed due to a waterlogged Ship Lane pitch this weekend.

*Ilford let a two-goal lead slip as they were held to an Essex Senior League point by Eton Manor at Cricklefield Stadium.

Allan Fenn’s understrength Foxes began well enough, in their first home fixture since December 13, to suggest a win might be on the cards.

But Manor battled back for a share of the spoils and Fenn will hope for better when his side meet mid-table rivals Newham on Wednesday.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus