Youngster, nine, taking on Hainault cycling challenge in memory of his grandmother
- Credit: Archant
A nine-year-old boy who decided to take on a bike challenge in memory of the grandmother he never met has raised over £300 in sponsorship.
Harry Wolff will take to the Redbridge Cycling Centre, in Forest Road, Hainault, on Sunday, biking around the course as many times as possible.
The youngster, who attends the Clore Tikva Primary School, in Fullwell Avenue, Barkingside, is fundraising for Breast Cancer Care in remembrance of Linda Curtis, who died when his mother Penny, 46, was only 14.
Harry’s father Greg Wolff, 42, said: “He has excellent IT skills and his mum suggested he put them to good use.
“Having hidden away in his bedroom for a little while, he came back to show her a Justgiving page he had created.
“Linda passed away many years before he was born, but the family always remember and talk about her fondly, as well as other family members who have passed away; particularly those that Harry and his brother Matthew, six, can remember.
“He really does enjoy cycling and felt it was something he was quite good at.”
- 1 Search continues for man who fled scene of Loxford stabbing
- 2 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 3 Events held to mark Ilford Christmas lights switch-on
- 4 Missing man seen on Chigwell Road found 'safe and well'
- 5 No more strikes planned at school but dispute resolution unclear
- 6 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 7 Update on search for older man walking barefoot along Chigwell Road
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 Things to do in east London this weekend
- 10 Waiting almost over as business award winners to be revealed
Harry, who lives in Collier Row, Havering, set himself an “optimistic” target of £550 and has seen donations come flooding in from friends and family.
Greg said: “I am so proud of Harry, he really loves hearing about all his old relatives and this is a great way for him to show his respect.”
Harry added: “I’m really happy to be able to help Breast Cancer Care, I hope the money I raise will be put to good use.
“I really enjoyed setting up my page and I’m looking forward to my bike ride on Sunday. Please give generously!”
To donate, visit justgiving.com/Penny-Wolff1.