Search

Young mum risks life to save baby from flat fire in Barkingside caused by ‘exploding’ cooker

PUBLISHED: 09:20 27 June 2013 | UPDATED: 09:20 27 June 2013

Chloe Eldred (right) and her mum Kay Upton (left) holding Chloe's six-month-old son Freddie

Chloe Eldred (right) and her mum Kay Upton (left) holding Chloe's six-month-old son Freddie

Archant

A young mum risked her life to save her baby from a fire engulfing their flat after a cooker “exploded” as she was making toast yesterday.

Chloe Eldred rescued her baby from his bed, which was blackened after the blaze.Chloe Eldred rescued her baby from his bed, which was blackened after the blaze.

Chloe Eldred, 19, was alone in the first floor flat in Hatley Court, Cranbrook Road, Barkingside, with baby Freddie when the fire started at around 8.45am.

She said: “I was just cooking some breakfast for myself and had toast under the grill. The baby was in the bedroom and he started crying so I ran to check on him.

“But I could smell smoke coming from the kitchen. I went to check the cooker and the next thing I knew it exploded in my face.”

The flames from the gas grill set light to an electric stereo as the blaze spread through the kitchen.

The kitchen after the fire.The kitchen after the fire.

Despite being burned, Chloe fought through the pain and smoke back into the bedroom to save her baby and get him to safety.

She said: “I was breathing in a lot of smoke and I fell back but I ran back into the bedroom, got the baby and my phone and ran out the front door.”

Once out of the burning flat, she called the fire brigade. A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said it took around 15 minutes for firefighters from Ilford and Hainault to bring the fire under control. It damaged around a fifth of the home, which is now uninhabitable for Chloe and boyfriend Elliot Bristow.

Chloe added: “We’re going to live with my parents until we’re back on our feet.”

The fire alarm in the flat, which is owned by Redbridge Council, did not go off.A council spokesman said no faults had been found in a check in February or reported since.

Chloe escaped with only minor burns to her hands and smoke inhalation. She said: “It’s quite painful but I’m still in a bit of shock. I’m just glad my son is fine.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder