Young mum risks life to save baby from flat fire in Barkingside caused by ‘exploding’ cooker
- Credit: Archant
A young mum risked her life to save her baby from a fire engulfing their flat after a cooker “exploded” as she was making toast yesterday.
Chloe Eldred, 19, was alone in the first floor flat in Hatley Court, Cranbrook Road, Barkingside, with baby Freddie when the fire started at around 8.45am.
She said: “I was just cooking some breakfast for myself and had toast under the grill. The baby was in the bedroom and he started crying so I ran to check on him.
“But I could smell smoke coming from the kitchen. I went to check the cooker and the next thing I knew it exploded in my face.”
The flames from the gas grill set light to an electric stereo as the blaze spread through the kitchen.
You may also want to watch:
Despite being burned, Chloe fought through the pain and smoke back into the bedroom to save her baby and get him to safety.
She said: “I was breathing in a lot of smoke and I fell back but I ran back into the bedroom, got the baby and my phone and ran out the front door.”
- 1 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 2 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 Former Met worker sentenced for stealing lost property cash
- 5 New trees to be planted at Fairlop Waters
- 6 Woodford Green pupil reaches final of national science and engineering competition
- 7 'Beyond my wildest dreams': Redbridge tutor receives MBE
- 8 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 9 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 10 Redbridge pupils shortlisted in competition to design Olympic Park pavilion
Once out of the burning flat, she called the fire brigade. A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said it took around 15 minutes for firefighters from Ilford and Hainault to bring the fire under control. It damaged around a fifth of the home, which is now uninhabitable for Chloe and boyfriend Elliot Bristow.
Chloe added: “We’re going to live with my parents until we’re back on our feet.”
The fire alarm in the flat, which is owned by Redbridge Council, did not go off.A council spokesman said no faults had been found in a check in February or reported since.
Chloe escaped with only minor burns to her hands and smoke inhalation. She said: “It’s quite painful but I’m still in a bit of shock. I’m just glad my son is fine.”