Young Citizens everywhere you look
From a self-taught piano playing fundraiser to a mountain climbing teenager with a passion for helping others, the Young Citizen Award has found some remarkable stories.
Since it launched in February, a clutch of young people aged 25 and under have been nominated for the Recorder/Rotary Young Citizen Award.
The award sees a monthly winner selected from a pool of nominees, and so far two people have won that prize and seen their names go forward for the overall award which will be decided early next year.
The February winner was Cody Lee Smart, aged 13. He first placed his hands on a keyboard when his mum was battling breast cancer.
Twelve months later, Cody, then aged nine, was raising money for the breast cancer unit in Epping which had treated her.
You may also want to watch:
Now 13, and having played at dozens of fundraising events for a host of good causes, Cody’s total has passed an impressive �27,000.
In March, the judges were impressed by 19-year-old Hussain Manawer, of Endsleigh Gardens, Ilford.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 5 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
- 10 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
He raised thousands of pounds for victims of last year’s Pakistan floods by climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
He has his eyes set on the Great Wall of China in September as he bids to raise money for a meningitis charity.
The monthly winners of the award will each receive �40 to spend on The Exchange Ilford retailer of their choice. The overall winner will receive �400 to spend.
To nominate someone, fill in the coupon and send in to the Recorder offices, accompanied with a explanation of no more than 150 words.