‘You really can’ - Jack Petchey message to Redbridge young
Scores of pupils amassed in Redbridge Town Hall with their parents and teachers could have been forgiven for launching into a Barack Obama style “YES WE CAN” chant at last night’s Jack Petchey awards.
More than 160 Redbridge students received their Petchey honours from VIPs, including Redbridge Mayor Cllr Chris Cummins, and were reminded of entrepreneur Jack’s mantra “If you think you can, you (really) can.”
Twenty four schools were represented at the ceremony during which Redbridge Council cabinet member for children’s services, Cllr Alan Weinberg, heralded the achievements of the borough’s young people.
“It is for us to tell the world that young people are exceptional, want to play part in society and do play a part in society,” said Cllr Weinberg.
The audience was also entertained in between presentations by young talent from the borough.
You may also want to watch:
Full report of last night’s ceremony to come
- 1 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 3 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 4 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 5 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
- 6 Animals bite rubbish after wheelie bin delivery delay
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Six males detained after alleged brawl in Gants Hill
- 9 Crunch meeting fails to provide breakthrough in school sick pay dispute
- 10 Teen stabbed in Chadwell Heath