You cheddar believe it: Wanstead choir win national cheese anthem competition
There was nothing cheesy about a choir from Wanstead’s submission to a national cheese anthem competition after they were picked as the winners on Tuesday.
The British Cheese Board chose the Upbeat choir’s rendition of Cheddar, set to the tune of Land of Hope and Glory from more than 100 entries.
They gained a huge slice of the public vote with 41 per cent and their video was viewed more than 5,000 times on YouTube.
Tim Sutton, musical director of the choir, said: “Upbeat is a new choir, but a very special one. I’m thrilled that we’ve won this competition.
“Our success represents the twin British pillars of community music-making and cheddar, and I couldn’t be prouder.”
You may also want to watch:
The national competition was launched this year to find an anthem for the nation’s favourite cheese, cheddar. The choir was awarded a year’s supply of cheese for their efforts.
The choir meet at Wanstead High School in Redbridge Lane West.
- 1 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 3 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 4 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 5 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
- 6 Animals bite rubbish after wheelie bin delivery delay
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Six males detained after alleged brawl in Gants Hill
- 9 Crunch meeting fails to provide breakthrough in school sick pay dispute
- 10 Teen stabbed in Chadwell Heath