Woodford Green zombie Chris wins at Cannes
An actor from Woodford Green helped his company to victory at the Cannes Film Festival after he dashed home to lead a final promotion push.
Zombie movie I Am Lonely, starring Chris Spyrides, of Wallers Close, won the Cannes Short Film Corner competition, run in association with the National Film Board of Canada, beating more than 2,000 entries.
The winner was decided based on how many people selected the “like” option on YouTube after watching the eight minute film, minus the number of dislikes, by Thursday of last week.
Mr Spyrides was disappointed to miss the celebratory bash but pleased all the hard work paid off, particularly as the film trailed by more than 100 “likes” 26 hours before the voting deadline.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The top two were neck-and-neck for a long time but then we fell behind.
“With just over a day to go we were in second place and losing by 130 likes, but we managed to fight back.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 3 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 6 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 7 'Very challenging': Ilford businesses still struggling months after return
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Which venues have been crowned Redbridge's Hospitality Heroes?
“We all promoted harder than ever, sending emails and using social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook and thankfully people got behind us.
“I was absolutely chuffed when I heard we had won but I was too shattered to celebrate and also didn’t have any beers in the fridge.”
I Am Lonely was made on a budget of just �500 by a crew of 12 people.
His company, Brainhound Films, was presented with about �10,000 of equipment including an Apple Mac with editing software and a digital HD camera
“We were already using a decent camera so I can’t wait to see how good this one is,” Mr Spyrides said.
He said he has started writing a pilot for a comedy TV show about a Frenchman living in London with a friend.
n To watch Mr Spyride’s performance search “I Am Lonely nfb” on YouTube.