Woodford Green volunteer to mark completion of new cycle routes in the UK
- Credit: Archant
A Woodford Green volunteer will be celebrating a new network of walking and cycling routes for London when she takes part in the Pedal On UK cycle tour.
Retired Helen Jacobs, 63, of Skypeals Road, will join other volunteers, celebrities and sports stars on August 16 to cycle 37 miles from Stratford’s Olympic Park to Cheshunt in Hertfordshire.
Helen volunteers on the front desk for Chingford and Leyton police stations and also for the charity Sustrans, organisers of the three week UK-wide bike ride.
The bike ride, which will visit more than 35 communities, celebrates the completion of more than 80 cycling and walking networks, extending the National Cycle Network across the UK.
Helen, who was a volunteer Games Maker at the 2012 London Olympics, said: “Cycling is a wonderful way to get around, you can park anywhere, the bikes run on fresh air and leg power, and it keeps you fit without the pain or the cost of the gym.
You may also want to watch:
“Cycling gives you the feel good factor, and is a great thing for families to do together, as even in London there are many off-road safe cycle routes.
“I became a Sustrans volunteer to help improve signage on local cycle routes.”
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 3 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 5 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 6 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 7 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 8 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 9 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 10 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School