Search

Woodford Green teen’s lucky escape from chip pan fire

PUBLISHED: 13:46 19 January 2016 | UPDATED: 13:48 19 January 2016

Gutted: The remains of a kitchen after a fire started at a flat in Snakes Lane East, Woodford Green, at the weekend. Picture: London Fire Brigade

Gutted: The remains of a kitchen after a fire started at a flat in Snakes Lane East, Woodford Green, at the weekend. Picture: London Fire Brigade

Archant

A teenager made a “miracle” escape from his burning flat after he fell asleep while he had chips cooking on a stove.

Gutted: The remains of a kitchen after a fire started at a flat in Snakes Lane East, Woodford Green, at the weekend. Picture: London Fire BrigadeGutted: The remains of a kitchen after a fire started at a flat in Snakes Lane East, Woodford Green, at the weekend. Picture: London Fire Brigade

Firefighters were called to the property in Snakes Lane East, Woodford Green, just after midnight on Friday after the 19-year-old’s neighbour raised the alarm.

Both residents were treated for smoke inhalation after crews from Woodford and Chingford fire stations had the blaze under control just after 1am.

Watch manager David Carnegie said the teen was “very lucky”.

“He said he awoke and got out, but if it had been a minute later it would have been a lot worse,” said Mr Carnegie. “His smoke alarm wasn’t working. The lady in the flat above, her smoke alarm worked and she woke up and got out and raised the alarm.

“The guy was extremely lucky. The fact he just woke up is a miracle really because a minute later it could have been serious injuries or even worse.”

Praising watch manager Darren Horrigan and firefighters who tackled the blaze, he said: “Crews in breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the fire preventing it from spreading to other properties.”

Mr Carnegie urged people not cook while tired.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder