Woodford Green schoolgirl reaches regional finals of Teenstar singing competition
- Credit: Archant
Trinity Catholic High School may soon have a new name to add to its list of famous alumni if one singing schoolgirl has her way.
Anna Wells, 16, has reached the regional finals of the Teenstar singing competition - which last year was won by X Factor finalist Luke Friend.
She will be performing at the prestigious Camden Roundhouse on March 9 in the 16-19 years category.
While many of her co-performers will be performing cover versions, singer-songwriter Anna intends to take to the stage with her own material.
She added that she is finding it increasingly difficult to juggle her songwriting and her schoolwork as her GCSEs at the Woodford Green school grow closer.
You may also want to watch:
Despite that, she remains ambitious about her progression in Teenstar.
Anna said: “I’d like to play my own stuff as far into the competition as possible.
- 1 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 2 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 Former Met worker sentenced for stealing lost property cash
- 5 New trees to be planted at Fairlop Waters
- 6 Woodford Green pupil reaches final of national science and engineering competition
- 7 'Beyond my wildest dreams': Redbridge tutor receives MBE
- 8 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 9 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 10 Redbridge pupils shortlisted in competition to design Olympic Park pavilion
“I like to try and write a couple of lines each evening.”
While she started playing the piano six years ago and has also taught herself the guitar, she has only been singing competitively for three years.
Despite her relatively recent arrival to the circuit, she has performed at venues such as the Brixton Academy and reached the area finals of Open Mic UK, the sister competition to Teenstar.
Anna, who lives in Epping, isn’t intimidated by the large audiences, either.
“When I’m on a stage the lights are so bright I only really see the front row,” she said.
“I’ll probably get up there with my guitar and just play.”
Anna estimates around 10,000 people auditioned nationally, with 25 making it through to each age category in each regional final.
The overall winner will be crowned at the national finals at the Indig02 in July, receiving £5000 in prize money and time in a recording studio.