Woodford Green schoolgirl reaches regional finals of Teenstar singing competition
- Credit: Archant
Trinity Catholic High School may soon have a new name to add to its list of famous alumni if one singing schoolgirl has her way.
Anna Wells, 16, has reached the regional finals of the Teenstar singing competition - which last year was won by X Factor finalist Luke Friend.
She will be performing at the prestigious Camden Roundhouse on March 9 in the 16-19 years category.
While many of her co-performers will be performing cover versions, singer-songwriter Anna intends to take to the stage with her own material.
She added that she is finding it increasingly difficult to juggle her songwriting and her schoolwork as her GCSEs at the Woodford Green school grow closer.
You may also want to watch:
Despite that, she remains ambitious about her progression in Teenstar.
Anna said: “I’d like to play my own stuff as far into the competition as possible.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 2 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 6 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 7 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 8 Iain Duncan Smith reveals death threat as MPs pay tribute to 'unfailingly kind' colleague
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
“I like to try and write a couple of lines each evening.”
While she started playing the piano six years ago and has also taught herself the guitar, she has only been singing competitively for three years.
Despite her relatively recent arrival to the circuit, she has performed at venues such as the Brixton Academy and reached the area finals of Open Mic UK, the sister competition to Teenstar.
Anna, who lives in Epping, isn’t intimidated by the large audiences, either.
“When I’m on a stage the lights are so bright I only really see the front row,” she said.
“I’ll probably get up there with my guitar and just play.”
Anna estimates around 10,000 people auditioned nationally, with 25 making it through to each age category in each regional final.
The overall winner will be crowned at the national finals at the Indig02 in July, receiving £5000 in prize money and time in a recording studio.