Valentines Mansion all dolled up for new exhibit
- Credit: Vision RCL
Valentines Mansion is hosting an exhibition of rare dolls from around the world thanks to a donation from a Woodford Green resident.
Angela Ryder, a long-term resident of Woodford Green, has spent many years amassing a collection of hand-made folk-art dolls.
Many of them pre-date the commercial era of mass-produced dolls.
Angela decided to donate her collection of more than 1,000 dolls to the Grade II listed building inside Valentines Park, which will rotate them on display every few months, focusing each exhibit on a certain part of the world.
The first of the displays will illustrate the dolls, dresses, customs, history and styles of the Eastern European countries.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Valentines Mansion said: "This is not merely a display of tourist souvenirs: this is folk-history, authentic folk craftsmanship, with so much for us to admire and to learn."
The free exhibit is open from 10.30am to 4pm on Sundays and Mondays.
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 6 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 7 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 8 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 9 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station