Woodford Green pupils due to be awarded by royalty for school challenge
- Credit: Archant
The rain, wind and thousands of miles of trekking around UK hills has been worth it for Woodford Green pupils due to receive awards from royalty.
Almost 150 teenagers from Bancroft’s School, in High Road, completed the Duke of Edinburgh Award, which challenges youngsters to volunteer, go on expeditions or work for charities abroad.
The 16 pupils who succeeded in the hardest gold award will be presented with certificates by the Duke of Edinburgh or the Earl of Wessex at St James’ Palace.
A further 65 pupils completed the silver award and 62 did bronze.
Dominic Argyle, who organised the Duke of Edinburgh programme at the school said pupils worked hard to combine the award with studying for GCSEs.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “In the process they will have gained many transferable skills which they will find invaluable both in their academic careers and their futures beyond school and university.”
He estimated that pupils who have been awarded bronze and silver Awards have collectively walked an incredible 11,000km, while their 3,000 hours of volunteering would have a paid value of over £10,000. Bancroft’s is one of the most successful schools in London for the Duke of Edinburgh Award, which requires youngsters to volunteer, do an activity, learn a skill and go on an expedition or residential course.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 5 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 6 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 7 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 8 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 9 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
- 10 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say