Woodford Green pair get set for World Indoor Championships
Shana Cox and Tiffany Porter will represent Team GB in Istanbul
Woodford Green AC duo Shana Cox and Tiffany Porter jetted off to Istanbul this week ahead of the World Indoor Championships, which begin tomorrow (Friday).
Porter switched allegiance from the USA last year and promptly won European Indoor silver for Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
The 24-year-old will be hoping to go one better in Turkey, however, competing in the 60 metre hurdles.
Cox has been selected to compete in the women’s 400m for Team GB, ahead of former European Indoor champion Nicola Sanders and Olympic gold medallist Christine Ohuruogu.
You may also want to watch:
Cox ran the fastest time in the UK this year at February’s Aviva Grand Prix in Birmingham and will also vie for a place in the 4x400m relay team.
However, club-mate Jeanette Kwakye will miss the trip to Istanbul and the chance to add to her World Indoor silver won in 2008.
- 1 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 2 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 3 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 4 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 5 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 6 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 7 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 8 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
- 9 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 10 Parents of man with special educational needs slam council over his care
Kwakye, who is supported by BMW Mini dealer Sytner Chigwell, ended her indoor season early as a precaution to protect herself from injury and potentially damage her chances of Olympic qualification.
UKA head coach Charles Van Commenee, explained: “Jeanette is dealing with an Achilles problem and she obviously doesn’t want to jeopardise her preparations for the Olympics, so she is doing the smart thing.”