Woodford Green man missing in Italy found dead after cliff fall, family say
The body of a Woodford Green man missing since setting out on a mountain hike in northern Italy has been found, his family say.
A posting on a Facebook page set up to find Felix Marr reads: “We have been informed by the police that dad’s body was found late on Saturday night.
“They say he fell off a ten metre cliff on a mountain called Monte Luppia, which is in the North East of Garda.”
The 64-year-old had been missing since August 10 and was understood to have gone hiking on La Rocca, a mountain in Lake Garda in Verona.
Police had traced his last text message to that area and sniffer dogs had been used to try and locate him while his family flew out to join in the search.
You may also want to watch:
The statement posted to Facebook adds: “We are simply devastated. We are struggling to take this terrible news in. We cannot picture what happened that evening at all.
“Thank you so much to everyone who to LA Protezione Civile, (the incredible Mountain Rescue Volunteers) who overcame obstacles to give up their time to look for him.
- 1 Thirteen-year-old boy stabbed in Ilford
- 2 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 6 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 7 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 8 16-year-old arrested after woman reports sexual assault in South Woodford
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 Hainault community garden gets £85k for 'ecotherapy' scheme
“We are so heartened by your generosity and determination to help visitors to your country.
“A massive thank you also to everyone else – all our Italian friends, and friends and family abroad who in many different ways have been supporting us and helping us get through this nightmarish ordeal.”