Woodford Green man champions fitness phenomenon, crossfit, at new gym
- Credit: Archant
A new work out phenomenon, which has been used by the US military, has landed in Woodford Green and aims to incorporate team work with high intensity sessions.
Shaun Samonini opened The Only Way is Crossfit, in Bairney Wood Approach, at the end of January after trying out crossfit for the first time two years earlier and enjoying the “variety” it offered.
The new gym, which is a matter of minutes from the Tube station, aims to introduce as many people to crossfit as possible and encouraging people to get fitter, stronger, and to compete against others, in a “friendly yet challenging atmosphere”.
Mr Samononi, 27, of South Park Drive, Ilford, said: “Crossfit is a hardcore, intense session which can last between five and 20 minutes.
“Sometimes going to a normal gym can be drawn out and very monotonous, but crossfit is designed to be quick, easy and personalised to what you can do.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone works together and helps each other by building morale. It’s very addictive.”
The sessions aim to improve core strength by incorporating elements of bodyweight training, weightlifting and gymnastics.
- 1 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 2 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 3 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 4 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 5 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 6 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 7 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 8 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
- 9 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 10 Parents of man with special educational needs slam council over his care
Mr Samonini said: “The work out isn’t very big in the UK but the first crossfit gym opened in America in 2005. There are 4,000 worldwide.
“The exercise classes are suited to anybody wanting to get fit. People always looking for different ways to exercise.
“So far the response has been very positive and so many women are enjoying combining weights, which they are normally reluctant to use at the gym.”
Sessions run on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 6.30pm and 7.30pm, Tuesdays at 7pm and 8pm, Thursdays at 6pm and 8pm and Saturday at 10.30am.
To find out more visit www.facebook.com/TheOnlyWayIsCrossFit or call 07961 052 371.