Woodford Green flats will disturb the peace say residents

Iain Duncan Smith with unhappy residents in South Woodford who are campaigning against planning perm

Iain Duncan Smith with unhappy residents in South Woodford who are campaigning against planning permission to build a four storey building and car park across the road from their street. - Credit: Archant

Outraged residents say plans for a four-storey block of flats will disturb their peaceful cul-de-sac.

If approved, the development in High Road, Woodford Green, will include five one-bedroom flats together with an access gate and two-storey car park in Burlington Place. The plans also include a roof-top terrace.

Residents fear the height of the building will disturb their privacy and roads will be blocked with lorries and equipment needed for building work.

Cliff Bramah, of Burlington Place, said: “This just shows how we are not being thought of when these plans were submitted.

“They would cause a lot of disruption, especially the terrace as it would lead to wild parties – disturbing our elderly residents.”


You may also want to watch:


So far, more than 30 objection letters have been sent to Redbridge Council.

Charles Green, of Burlington Place, said it was an “absolute absurdity” to proceed with the development.

Most Read

Russell Sutton, of The Glade, which the proposed flats would back on to, described the proposed development as “disastrous”.

John Edney, of Burlington Place, said: “It’s a nice neighbourhood and they want to send diggers and lorries to disturb our little community.

“Well this just cannot happen – they will ruin what we have here.”

Chingford and Woodford Green MP Iain Duncan Smith visited the cul-de-sac and has now written a letter expressing his concerns to the council’s planning department.

He said: “I am particularly concerned about the height and density of the proposed development.

“It is completely out of character with the architecture of the surrounding properties and it would be a complete eyesore.”

A Redbridge Council spokesman said the consultation period had now been extended to March 7.

This is due to the fact that a couple of properties were not informed of the plans “due to an administrative error”.

Comments on the plans received after that date will still be considered until a decision is made.

The application is by Oakleighs Developments and BB Partnership.

They both declined to comment on the plans.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus