Woodbridge High School head denies pupil protests after Adam Deacon visit called off
A Woodford Green headteacher has denied pupil protests took place at his school after he cancelled the visit of a BAFTA-nominated actor.
Adam Deacon, star of Kidulthood and Anuvahood, was due to visit students at Woodbridge High School, St Barnabas Road, on Wednesday but head Andrew Beaumont called off the appearance because the “correct checks and procedures” had not been followed.
The actor, who is also known as a director and rapper and is currently in the running for a BAFTA Rising Star award, spoke of his disappointment today.
He said teachers told pupils he had decided not to come and that the decision to axe the appearance was based on the content of his films.
Pupils reportedly walked out of lessons with Mr Deacon calling on them through Twitter to go back to their classrooms.
You may also want to watch:
A flurry of tweets on Wednesday said a protest was taking place.
One pupil reportedly said 50 children were taking part outside the school.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
Mr Beaumont said: “Woodbridge High School can confirm that a visit by the actor Adam Deacon had been arranged by a member of staff at very short notice this week but unfortunately I had to cancel the visit.
“As a result some pupils at the school were disappointed.
“There were no protests or disturbances at the school, no pupil was suspended or reprimanded for their behaviour and the police were not called.”
Speaking to sister newspaper the Hackney Gazette today, Mr Deacon, said: “That all got out of hand.
“I got a call from my manager to say the headteacher had overruled the decision to have me to visit.
“They had seen some of the images from my films but hadn’t watched them and decided it wasn’t the right look for them.
“How could they decide that without even watching the films?
“Then I heard on Twitter that the kids were running out of classrooms and getting sent home.
“They were asking me why I had cancelled on them, because that’s what they had been told by their teachers.”