Woman taken to hospital after cleaning toilet in Woodford Green
A Woodford Green resident was taken to hospital after mixing bleach and toilet cleaner, releasing a dangerous and toxic gas.
The 49-year-old woman, of Regents Drive, Repton Park, was taken to Whipps Cross University Hospital after inhaling a hydrochloric gas while cleaning her bathroom on Saturday afternoon.
After accidentally mixing Harpic bleach and toilet cleaner, the woman called an ambulance after feeling unwell and was taken to the hospital in Leytonstone as a precaution.
One ambulance and a hazard area response team were called at around 3pm, followed by Woodford Green fire brigade who ventilated the property.
A spokesman for the fire station, in Snakes Lane West, Woodford Green, said: “This seems to be a problem not many people know about, and the crew has been called out to a number of similar incidents recently.
You may also want to watch:
“This is something any of us could do by mistake, and most bottles only have a small warning on them.”
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 3 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 6 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 7 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 8 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 9 Public in 'parallel universe' to hospitals on Covid measures, meeting told
- 10 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle