Search

Woman taken to hospital after cleaning toilet in Woodford Green

PUBLISHED: 11:45 25 February 2013 | UPDATED: 11:45 25 February 2013

A Woodford Green resident was taken to hospital after mixing bleach and toilet cleaner, releasing a dangerous and toxic gas.

The 49-year-old woman, of Regents Drive, Repton Park, was taken to Whipps Cross University Hospital after inhaling a hydrochloric gas while cleaning her bathroom on Saturday afternoon.

After accidentally mixing Harpic bleach and toilet cleaner, the woman called an ambulance after feeling unwell and was taken to the hospital in Leytonstone as a precaution.

One ambulance and a hazard area response team were called at around 3pm, followed by Woodford Green fire brigade who ventilated the property.

A spokesman for the fire station, in Snakes Lane West, Woodford Green, said: “This seems to be a problem not many people know about, and the crew has been called out to a number of similar incidents recently.

“This is something any of us could do by mistake, and most bottles only have a small warning on them.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder