Woman ‘lucky’ to escape Seven Kings house fire after leaving candle burning overnight
A woman escaped a house fire in Seven Kings this morning after she left a candle burning overnight.
The blaze was started when the candle burnt too low and the fire spread to burn a hole in the floor at the house in Leeds Road.
A 61-year-old woman escaped the house after being woken up by smoke and called the fire brigade at 7.15am.
She was not injured but one room was damaged.
Fire crews who went to the scene said they installed smoke detectors after the house was found to have no alarms.
You may also want to watch:
A firefighter said: “The woman was lucky that the door to the room was closed.
“Candles should never be left unattended and people should make sure they are properly extinguished.”
- 1 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 2 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 New trees to be planted at Fairlop Waters
- 5 Former Met worker sentenced for stealing lost property cash
- 6 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 7 Woodford Green pupil reaches final of national science and engineering competition
- 8 'Beyond my wildest dreams': Redbridge tutor receives MBE
- 9 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 10 Redbridge pupils shortlisted in competition to design Olympic Park pavilion
The London Fire Brigade fits smoke detectors for free and can give fire prevention advice.
Visit www.london-fire.gov.uk to arrange a home visit.