Woman, 61, found dead in River Roding ‘committed suicide’, say police
The 61-year-old woman found dead in the River Roding yesterday committed suicide, police believe.
Det Supt Ellie O’Connor, of Redbridge Police, said she went into the river near Chigwell Road, Woodford Green, nearly two miles upstream from where her body was found.
Her personal effects were left by the water.
She added: “It’s so tragic when someone takes their own life.
“We are treating her death as non-suspicious and don’t think anyone else was involved.”
You may also want to watch:
Passers-by discovered the body near Ilford Golf Club at around 9am yesterday and called the police.
Officers who first arrived at the scene had to wait for a specialist marine unit to recover the woman because of hazardous conditions in the river.
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 6 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 7 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 8 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 9 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
Persistent rainfall and the closure of the Thames Barrier has caused water levels to rise and washed debris into the fast-flowing river.
Det Sgt Michael Dougal said the woman’s family, including her estranged husband, have been informed.
She has not yet been named but a post-mortem tomorrow is expected to confirm her identity and the cause of death.