Woman, 61, found dead in River Roding ‘committed suicide’, say police
The 61-year-old woman found dead in the River Roding yesterday committed suicide, police believe.
Det Supt Ellie O’Connor, of Redbridge Police, said she went into the river near Chigwell Road, Woodford Green, nearly two miles upstream from where her body was found.
Her personal effects were left by the water.
She added: “It’s so tragic when someone takes their own life.
“We are treating her death as non-suspicious and don’t think anyone else was involved.”
You may also want to watch:
Passers-by discovered the body near Ilford Golf Club at around 9am yesterday and called the police.
Officers who first arrived at the scene had to wait for a specialist marine unit to recover the woman because of hazardous conditions in the river.
- 1 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 2 Ilford GP criticises NHS patient data sharing plans
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 Ilford's Mercato Metropolitano to open in November
- 5 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 6 Man with Hainault links wanted on recall to prison
- 7 Man jailed after gun and cocaine worth £1m found at Ilford home
- 8 Pupils prepare for summer singing festival at Kenneth More Theatre
- 9 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 10 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
Persistent rainfall and the closure of the Thames Barrier has caused water levels to rise and washed debris into the fast-flowing river.
Det Sgt Michael Dougal said the woman’s family, including her estranged husband, have been informed.
She has not yet been named but a post-mortem tomorrow is expected to confirm her identity and the cause of death.