Witnesses speak of horror when car flipped in Wanstead crash
- Credit: Archant
Stunned passers-by have told of their horror when a car flipped over in Wanstead on Thursday.
The driver was taken to hospital after the crash in Kingfisher Avenue at 3.20pm.
The black Ford Focus was left on its side surrounded by debris and shattered glass.
Several passers by witnessed the accident near Wanstead High Street and station.
Brittany Bell was crossing the road nearby seconds before when she noticed the driver “blasting the horn”.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I noticed in the front right wheel was what looked like an orange florescent jacket which was preventing the wheel from rotating properly and therefore jammed it.
“I then heard the car hit something and then saw the vehicle on its side.”
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
Grant Lawless was the first on the scene and narrowly missed being injured himself.
His coat was left covered with “blood and glass”.
A Twitter user described the crash “like Rambo”, an action film.
A London Ambulance Service spokesman said the driver, a man in his 50s, was treated for “minor injuries” and taken to Whipps Cross Hospital as a priority.
Slip roads on to the A12 were closed while emergency services were at the scene and heavy traffic was reported in the area.