Witnesses speak of horror when car flipped in Wanstead crash
- Credit: Archant
Stunned passers-by have told of their horror when a car flipped over in Wanstead on Thursday.
The driver was taken to hospital after the crash in Kingfisher Avenue at 3.20pm.
The black Ford Focus was left on its side surrounded by debris and shattered glass.
Several passers by witnessed the accident near Wanstead High Street and station.
Brittany Bell was crossing the road nearby seconds before when she noticed the driver “blasting the horn”.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I noticed in the front right wheel was what looked like an orange florescent jacket which was preventing the wheel from rotating properly and therefore jammed it.
“I then heard the car hit something and then saw the vehicle on its side.”
- 1 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 2 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 3 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 4 Ilford business owners adjust to new world on reopening
- 5 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 6 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 7 Redbridge leisure centres reopen after latest easing of restrictions
- 8 Physical and mental health long-Covid rehab programme launches in Ilford
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after elderly woman dies in Clayhall
- 10 Temporary post office to open in South Woodford
Grant Lawless was the first on the scene and narrowly missed being injured himself.
His coat was left covered with “blood and glass”.
A Twitter user described the crash “like Rambo”, an action film.
A London Ambulance Service spokesman said the driver, a man in his 50s, was treated for “minor injuries” and taken to Whipps Cross Hospital as a priority.
Slip roads on to the A12 were closed while emergency services were at the scene and heavy traffic was reported in the area.