Win tickets to family history show
WHO DO You Think You Are? Live 2011 is the UK’s largest family history show.
It is at London’s Olympia from February 25-27, and the Recorder has five pairs of tickets to give away.
The event, sponsored by Ancestry.co.uk and The Telegraph, is a one-stop-genealogy-shop where visitors can discover their past guided by more than 200 exhibitors; ranging from The Society of Genealogists and The National Trust to The Royal Artillery Museums and Family Tree DNA.
From seasoned researchers to beginners starting out on their voyage of discovery, guests can uncover the lives of their ancestors. Celebrity speakers, including television presenter and horticulturalist, Monty Don, will recount tales from their own past.
Tony Robinson will also appear, courtesy of Ancestry.co.uk, to discuss the 1911 Census and how it can be used to piece together your family tree.
You may also want to watch:
Monty and Tony will speak about their incredible discoveries. Family history enthusiast and star of Time Team, Tony will also be on hand courtesy of Ancestry.co.uk to offer his inimitable take on history.
Ancestry.co.uk will run workshops on how to take searches further and where to find the clues in records. Guest speakers include Russell James, Dan Jones and Nick Barratt. There will also be a DNA workshop, supported by Family Tree DNA (www.familytreedna.com). DNA testing is now used to confirm family ties where no conventional record exists.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 5 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 8 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
Experts from Who Do You Think You Are? magazine will offer advice to those launching their voyage of discovery and curators of the UK’s leading military institutions, including the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and RAF Museum, will help visitors uncover ancestors and identify military artefacts.
Visitors can tackle obstacles in research during a one-to-one session with a genealogist and family history societies will offer specialist and localised knowledge. The Society of Genealogists will also run more than 100 workshops to suit beginners and experienced researchers. There will be sessions dedicated to specialist topics including Irish Ancestry and Jewish Roots.
Tickets are available at www.whodoyouthinkyouarelive.co.uk or by calling 0844 873 7330. The show opens on Friday, February 25 (10am-6.30pm); Saturday, February 26 (9:30am-6pm) and Sunday, February 27 (9.30am-5pm). Advance tickets are priced �20* for adults and �5* for children (aged 5-15). Under 5s go free. Two day tickets for Friday and Saturday or Friday and Sunday are available priced �25.
*Advance tickets are subject to a �2 fee per transaction. Standard tickets are available on the door priced �22 for adults and �6 for children.