West Ham legends Tony Gale and Tony Cottee pitch in for Ilford Golf Club fundraiser
- Credit: Archant
Two West Ham “legends”, Tony Cottee and Tony Gale, have pitched in for a charity event at Ilford Golf Club.
The “two Tonys” visited the club, in Wanstead Park Road, on February 22 to raise funds for a project started by a young footie fan.
Jonjo Heuerman, 11, started The Big Football Tag, to raise money in support of the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK.
Jonjo said he has raised around £105,000 to date, after completing an 11 mile walk from Battersea to Wapping.
After he left to prepare for the final walk from Wapping to the Boleyn Ground, in Upton Park, the next morning, the football stars entertained the audience with stories from their days with West Ham and England.
You may also want to watch:
Tony Gale clocked up 300 appearances for West Ham between 1984 and 1994.
Tony Cottee appeared 279 times for the club in total after starting his career there aged just 17 in 1982, leaving in 1988 and returning in 1994 after nearly six years with Everton.
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 3 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
- 7 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 8 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 9 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 10 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
Golf club captain Ian Morgan, who organised the event, said: “The evening was a fantastic success and helped raise awareness of Jonjo’s incredible achievement.”
Ian also joined Jonjo on the final 11 mile walk from Wapping and hopes to present him with a cheque for £1,000 from the event.
Support Jonjo at www.fornannyandbobby.moonfruit.com.