West Ham defender proud to be a Davenant School boy
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Arsenal loan player Carl Jenkinson praises his old school days
West Ham loan star Carl Jenkinson, made his first start for West Ham in the 2-0 victory over QPR on Sunday and will be with the England under-21s for their two vital Euro Championships play-off clashes with Croatia.
But the Arsenal man certainly hasn’t forgotten his roots.
He attended the Davenant Foundation School in Loughton as a youngster and he was full of praise for their help in his development.
“It was a bit more of a rugby school than a football one, but luckily the head teacher and the sports coaches there recognised I had a bit of ability on the footballing front and embraced it,” he explained.
You may also want to watch:
“They let me have the odd day off to train and develop and I have always been grateful to the school for acknowledging the fact that I had a chance to make it as a footballer.”
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals