Wes Streeting: 'Cancer treatment has reinforced my appreciation of NHS'
Wes Streeting MP, Ilford North
- Credit: PA Images
Since the news of my kidney cancer diagnosis became public, I have been overwhelmed by love, kindness and support from so many people.
Campaigning for the NHS has always been a priority for me, but I have a new, deeper, appreciation for how brilliant the people who work in the NHS are.
From the urologists at King George and Queen’s Hospitals who first identified the tumour risk, to the surgical and nursing team at the Royal Free Hospital who treated me, I’ve had world-class, life-saving treatment and it hasn’t cost me a penny beyond my taxes. This is a wonderful thing.
Following a successful operation last month, I am recovering well and making daily progress as I try and get myself back to full health.
Until then I’ll be off work, but I didn’t want to miss this opportunity to say two things that couldn’t wait for my return.
You may also want to watch:
The first is that we need to boost NHS staff numbers and pay the staff we have fairly. I’ve seen first-hand that the system is stretched. Staff deserve a pay rise and we need more of them, too.
Secondly, cancer waiting times are far too high. One in two of us will get cancer during our lifetimes and our chances of survival are far higher if we catch it early.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 3 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 5 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 6 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 7 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 8 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 9 School Streets scheme to expand in September
- 10 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
The current backlog of delays is frighteningly high. Tackling this must be a government priority.
Until I return, my brilliant staff team are here to help. Don’t hesitate to be in touch.