A big public thank you to all our headteachers
Wes Streeting MP, Ilford North
- Credit: Parliament
Schools are doing a great job in extraordinary circumstances.
Just the other week I was talking to Ms Hamill at Oaks Park High School about the fantastic work her staff are doing for pupils. It’s the same story at schools across the borough. I want to say a big public thank you to her, and to all our headteachers, teachers and support staff for everything they’re doing. They have my full support.
Unfortunately their job is being made harder as a result of the chaos and incompetence we’ve seen from the education secretary, Gavin Williamson. Government should be planning now to make pupils’ return to school as smooth and as safe as possible.
Firstly, we need to get every child online. There are still around half a million children learning from home without a laptop and internet access. This is a disgrace.
Secondly, we need a plan for safe return: mass testing, PPE, temporary ‘Nightingale classrooms’ and funding for additional safety measures as required. We’re joining the four Children’s Commissioners across the UK in calling for school staff to be vaccinated during the February half term to make sure that we don’t see further disruption to education through staff sickness and absence.
You may also want to watch:
Finally, we need to an ambitious plan to make sure that the life chances and opportunities of this generation aren’t held back by the last year. Investing in their education would also be a sound investment for our country. Education is the best economic policy there is.
- 1 No 10 at odds with Redbridge Council over masks for primary children
- 2 Ilford church turns into vaccine pop-up clinic
- 3 Former Islington head announced as new interim chief exec for Redbridge Council
- 4 Council offers update on regeneration projects at Ilford BID webinar
- 5 How many Covid vaccinations have been given where you live?
- 6 Redbridge students rewarded by police for mental health artwork
- 7 Council's housing budget and rent rise agreed
- 8 Appeal to trace man following brutal Ilford gang rape
- 9 South African Covid variant found in Ilford, 'surge testing' to begin
- 10 Sadiq has proposed Boundary Charge for cars coming from outside London