Wes Streeting gets Tweeting - in tonight’s full council meeting
One young Redbridge councillor will be embracing social media in tonight’s budget crunch council meeting to decide on �25million of cuts in the borough.
Labour councillor for Chadwell, Wes Streeting, 28, has so far racked up over 20,000 posts on the networking site Twitter and plans to tweet his way through this evening’s meeting to keep people updated.
He told the Recorder that he has been following the dramatic spending cuts in other London boroughs through following other councillors on the website that allows users to post messages of up to 140 characters to a ring of followers.
Cllr Streeting said: “I have tweeted from the council chamber before although mobile phones are supposed to be turned off.
“I have brought my phone charge this evening so I hope to be able to tweet throughout the meeting, or until the mayor tells me to stop.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Streeting says that the internet is changing how people interact with local politics. With so called micro-bloggers and citizen journalists making meetings more instantly accessible.
Other councillors who tweet include Burt Jones and Aziz Choudhary, although it is not known if they will be active during this evening’s meeting.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath