Wedding rapist guilty
A MAN who abducted a woman and forced her into an Islamic marriage before raping her on their wedding night is facing years behind bars. The 46-year-old – who cannot be named for legal reasons – lured his victim to his flat in South Woodford, and invite
A MAN who abducted a woman and forced her into an Islamic marriage before raping her on their "wedding night" is facing years behind bars.
The 46-year-old - who cannot be named for legal reasons - lured his victim to his flat in South Woodford, and invited a Muslim cleric to conduct the ceremony before exclusively male guests.
Snaresbrook Crown Court was shown a video revealing the sobbing bride being forced marry the man.
He later repeatedly forced himself on the 21-year-old to consummate their union while holding her captive at knifepoint for two days.
You may also want to watch:
The terrified woman eventually made a desperate bid for freedom by leaping from an upstairs window, suffering multiple fractures to her limbs and pelvis.
A jury took more than 10 hours to convict the man of false imprisonment, rape and assault charges following a three and a half-week trial.
- 1 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 2 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
- 5 Chigwell school puts pupils' baking skills to the test
- 6 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 7 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 8 'Scrapping Universal Credit uplift will lead to poverty', MP says
- 9 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 10 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
Remanding him in custody until April 23, Judge Alan Pardoe QC warned the man he would face a long sentence of custody.
Richard Hearnden, prosecuting, had earlier told the jury: "The defendant made it very clear that he was going to marry her whether she wanted to or not."
Mr Hearnden added: "He phoned his friends and asked them to come round to the flat and to bring an imam with them."
Before the "wedding party" arrived, he threatened the woman with a knife and beat her, the court heard.
"He assaulted the victim, he held a knife to her, he beat her and he threatened her," said Mr Hearnden.
"By the early hours of the morning, the wedding party had arrived at the flat.
"There were four people, all men - one was the imam."
Following the service, he insisted on consummating the relationship and raped the woman.
"She didn't consent to have sexual intercourse with the man masquerading as her new husband," said Mr Hearnden.
"He raped her that night - the defendant carried on assaulting and raping the woman over the next two nights."
The victim later tricked the man into going outside to take the rubbish out after complaining to him about the smell, locking the door behind him.
He smashed his way back into the apartment and armed himself with a knife but not before the woman made her desperate leap.
"She climbed out on to the ledge and then she jumped down," said Mr Hearnden.
The defendant claimed his victim was a "willing bride" who enthusiastically made love to her new husband.
He said the woman jumped from the window on June 18 last year in a suicide bid after rowing with her family.