Snow forecast for east London from Sunday
Mike Bedigan, Press Association
- Credit: Ron Jeffries
Snow and ice are being forecast for London from Sunday and into early next week.
The Met Office has issued yellow warnings for snow and ice, covering the length of Britain, from midday on Saturday to midday on Wednesday.
Simon Partridge, meteorologist for the Met Office, added that continuous snow showers and strong wind in the east on Sunday would result in "really bad" visibility and up to 20cm of snow in some areas.
Public Health England has issued a cold weather alert between 9am on Saturday and 9pm on Wednesday, warning those with heart and lung problems to take precautions.
Dr Owen Landeg, group leader, extreme events and health protection at PHE, said: "Cold weather isn't just uncomfortable, it can have a serious impact on health. For older people and those with heart and lung problems, it can increase the risks of heart attacks, strokes and chest infections.
"So it's really crucial at this time, especially ahead of a very cold snap, to remember to check on frail or older neighbours or relatives, especially those living alone or who have serious illnesses.
"Make a call, or socially distanced doorstep visit if they live close by, to remind them of some simple but important health tips such as heating their home to at least 18C, 64.4F, and to keep up to date with the forecast."
- 1 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 2 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 5 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 6 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 9 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 10 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine