We have the spirit to stay up says Romain Vincelot
DAGGERS top-scorer Romain Vincelot felt his side were unlucky not to earn a point in their defeat to Southampton.
The home side piled on the pressure late on and were unlucky not to draw level from Gavin Tomlin’s free-kick that hit the underside of the crossbar, before being cleared off the line.
An expectant Tomlin had already wheeled away in celebration, but Vincelot conceded the referee made the right decision.
“I think it was just on the line,” he said.
“I think in the last 20 minutes, where we put big big pressure on them, that we deserved maybe more on that and I think there was really a penalty.
“They had more opportunities than us, but from what we showed in the last 20 minutes we deserved a point I think.”
Despite their valiant effort, John Still’s side suffered their second defeat in three days after Saturday’s defeat to Brentford, which followed a frustrating run of only one game in five-and-a-half weeks.
- 1 Pair charged with creating fake Covid vaccination records
- 2 Newbury Park grass fire sees homes evacuated
- 3 London among areas where drought is declared
- 4 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 5 Convicted killer 'attacked sister-in-law after repeated threats', court hears
- 6 Ilford fast food restaurant permitted to open later
- 7 Five tower blocks included in housing plans for Sainsbury's in Ilford
- 8 Fairlop man locked up for rabbi assault
- 9 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 10 Jailed: Ilford fraudster involved in £13m Ponzi scheme through property fraud
Vincelot admitted afterwards the team were just happy to be playing again and remained upbeat about the Daggers’ chances of avoiding an immediate return to League Two.
“We were excited to come back on the pitch because it was a long time away, but we had two games in three days and after this one you get a little bit tired, I will sleep well,” he said.
“We have a few days to recover, so it will be alright.
“It’s the Dagenham spirit to always keep going and we will save ourselves like this because there are so many games left.
“We have the spirit and if we keep it, we’ll stay in the league for sure.”