Wanstead Police Station up for sale with ‘residential development potential’
- Credit: Archant
Wanstead Police Station is up for sale just days after it was closed despite local opposition.
The station, in Spratt Hall Road, is listed on property website RightMove with 0.24 acres of land.
The advertisement says the site has “residential development potential subject to the necessary consents”.
The news will be unwelcome, if unexpected, for councillors and residents among the 3,000 people who signed petitions to stop the closure of the historic station earlier this year.
In a letter to Boris Johnson, the Wanstead and Snaresbrook Residents’ Alliance said a residential development in the building would be a “disaster” for the area but now it is a likely outcome.
You may also want to watch:
Wanstead Police Station was closed along with the front counter at Woodford Police Station earlier this month as part of a restructure of the Metropolitan Police.
Four new contact points have opened up for three hours a week at Elder House Community Centre in Green Lane, Goodmayes; the Fencepiece Road Police Office in Barkingside; Wanstead House in The Green, Wanstead; and at Woodford Police Station in High Road, Woodford Green.
- 1 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 2 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 3 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 4 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 6 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 7 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 8 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 9 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 10 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
Ilford Police Station is still open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and Barkingside Police Station is open on weekdays.