Wanstead Police Station up for sale with ‘residential development potential’
- Credit: Archant
Wanstead Police Station is up for sale just days after it was closed despite local opposition.
The station, in Spratt Hall Road, is listed on property website RightMove with 0.24 acres of land.
The advertisement says the site has “residential development potential subject to the necessary consents”.
The news will be unwelcome, if unexpected, for councillors and residents among the 3,000 people who signed petitions to stop the closure of the historic station earlier this year.
In a letter to Boris Johnson, the Wanstead and Snaresbrook Residents’ Alliance said a residential development in the building would be a “disaster” for the area but now it is a likely outcome.
You may also want to watch:
Wanstead Police Station was closed along with the front counter at Woodford Police Station earlier this month as part of a restructure of the Metropolitan Police.
Four new contact points have opened up for three hours a week at Elder House Community Centre in Green Lane, Goodmayes; the Fencepiece Road Police Office in Barkingside; Wanstead House in The Green, Wanstead; and at Woodford Police Station in High Road, Woodford Green.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 5 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 6 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 7 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 8 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
- 9 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 10 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
Ilford Police Station is still open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and Barkingside Police Station is open on weekdays.