Wanstead church issues warning to lead thieves
Thieves are being warned to stay away from a church roof ‘before they kill themselves’.
Wanstead United Reformed Church, in Nightingale Lane, Wanstead, had lead, valued at “between £40 to £50”, taken from its roof last week.
The damage caused flooding inside the church, ruining the £1.5 million refurbishment project completed in July 2012.
The church elder responsible for the property, Chris Walker, 63, said: “We are having a lead replacement roof put on now - a lead substitute.
“The new roof will not have value, so the vandals can not make a killing out of the roof and, hopefully, they won’t kill themselves by falling off the roof.”
You may also want to watch:
Jeannette Briggs, a church member, described the vandalism as “senseless” and “petty thieving”.
She said: “The water has damaged the wood floors and doors. They would not get much money for the [amount of] lead they have taken, but because of the weather it has caused a huge amount of damage that we can ill afford.”
- 1 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 2 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 3 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 4 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 5 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 6 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 7 NHS pilot to end blood test services at two Redbridge sites
- 8 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 9 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 10 Council leader hails 'affordable' housing development in Wanstead
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, quoting the crime reference number 4400787/14