VIDEO: Yule be sorry if you missed Ilford’s Christmas light switch-on yesterday
Santa, the snow-queen and the Mayor of Redbridge brought festive cheer to Ilford town centre yesterday.
About 100 people counted down to the big switch-on which happened at 6.30pm.
Crowds were entertained with pantomime characters, visiting Santa in his grotto and chatting to the sky-high snow queen.
Cllr Mohammed Javed said: “the atmosphere was very good. There was a mixed crowed and people came from all sections of the community. It’s also good that we support local businesses some of which are struggling a bit.”
Boxes of glow sticks were given out to the waiting crowds standing outside Redbridge Town Hall, High Road.
You may also want to watch:
Other light switch- ons around the borough include in Manford Way, Hainault at 5pm tomorrow and next Thursday outside Fullwell Cross Library, High Street Barkingside at 4.30pm.
The Wanstead light switch-on will be on November 30 at George Green, The Green.
- 1 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 2 Ilford GP criticises NHS patient data sharing plans
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 Ilford's Mercato Metropolitano to open in November
- 5 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 6 Man with Hainault links wanted on recall to prison
- 7 Man jailed after gun and cocaine worth £1m found at Ilford home
- 8 Pupils prepare for summer singing festival at Kenneth More Theatre
- 9 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 10 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower