VIDEO: Chigwell musician’s blues band up for national award
A blues musician from Chigwell has said he feels “honoured” to have got through to the final selection for a national best blues song award.
Trev Turley and his group, the Bare Bones Boogie Band, have made it to the final 14 in the British Blues Awards for their song Fallin’ for Foolin’.
The winner will be decided by public vote.
Trev said: “It’s a huge honour for the band to be selected for the final in these awards.
“In the preliminary round we were against some more well-known acts, so to have got this far is brilliant.”
You may also want to watch:
The band got together almost four years ago, but the members had each played with other acts over the previous decade. Their second album will be released later this year.
Trev said: “We put our own spin on the blues and it’s really stripping it back to the bare essentials. I think we have got a great singer and songwriter and it’s a great little band and we have got a chance of winning.”
- 1 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 2 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 5 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 6 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 7 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 8 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 9 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 10 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
The song was written by the band’s guitarist, Iain Black, and is about a married woman who realises she has been tricked by her manipulative husband.
Mr Turley has been playing bass guitar since the Seventies and says he was brought up on blues music.
“I started from going through various styles of music, including progressive rock, and bringing a bit of that to the blues,” he said.
“When you pick up a guitar, it’s what you start off leaning towards.”
Also in the band are singer Helen Turner and drummer Andy Jones.
Voting can be done at www.britishbluesawards.com and closes on July 30. The winner will be announced in September at the Newark Blues Festival.