VIDEO - Burst water main pipe eight properties in Woodford Bridge
- Credit: Archant
Eight properties have been flooded in Woodford Bridge after a water pipe burst this morning.
The 12-inch pipe burst close to The Green in Chigwell Road.
Schoolchildren had to make their way to lessons through muddy water which was forced up through a crack in the road near to the junction of Green Walk and Chigwell Road.
Kenan Top, the owner of the Bridge Convenience Store, had to push against the water with a brush for three hours to stop it coming in his store.
He said: “The water was up to the doorstep. We couldn’t open for three hours.
You may also want to watch:
“There were a lot of schoolkids that were trying to go through, their shoes were getting wet.”
It also affected water pressure in the area and Thames Water has apologised to residents for any inconvenience caused.
- 1 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 2 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 3 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 4 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 5 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 6 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 7 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
- 8 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 9 Parents of man with special educational needs slam council over his care
- 10 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
A spokesman said: “The leak was stopped at around 8.30am and water supplies returned to normal.
“Engineers are currently onsite fixing the pipe and loss adjusters are visiting the flooded properties.”
Mr Top said the flooding has left mud on the pavement and road.